Saturday, September 19, 2009

Stop Signs & Other Things To Pay Attention To

The past week had been unexpectedly challenging. It started off well enough, but by Wednesday morning I found I was beyond exhausted and actually spent most of the day in bed.

After sleeping for the better part of Wednesday, when I got up Thursday morning I was feeling better, so I planned out my day. It included an hour's drive north to see a friend and dropping by a colleague's home to pick up some hand-made specialty bath products. At the time it didn't seem like a very strenuous or taxing way to spend the day. However, by the time I got home, I was once again exhausted.

Fortunately I didn't have much scheduled on Friday, so I did very little other than rest. What I realized is my energy has been low for a long time but I have continued to push forward and do things because I felt I "had" to, rather than to just Stop and rest and rejuvenate. Instead, I kept on working and believing that I could keep up the pace for an extended period of time without any repercussions.

More often than not, we know when we are run down, when we are burning the candle at both ends, and when we really need to take a break. The signs are always there, yet, how often do we continue to push the limits and attempt to keep pace when everything in us is telling us to just STOP! Then we seem surprised when we seem to just collapse ~ mentally, physically or emotionally and we are shocked by just how exhausted we feel once we do stop.

I know I need a few more days of rest and rejuvenation before I will even begin to feel better. I also realize that had I taken some time to rest when I knew I needed to, I wouldn't have experienced this level exhaustion.

When all signs point to STOP...it's best to STOP before something happens that will make you stop.

Blessings.

No comments: