Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Past Revisited

Thanks to a friend who celebrated a milestone birthday in February, I had the opportunity to spend time and talk with people I haven't seen in many, many years. While it seemed a little awkward at first, the years quickly disappeared and the evening was filled with both laughter and love.  While I can't speak for the others, I know I laughed so hard at times that it brought tears to my eyes; and it's been a long time since that has happened.  It was a truly wonderful evening and amazing how easily we came together as though we had never been apart.

It's amazing how some people from our past never seem to change ~ in a good way ~ even though their lives have taken them down different paths, through experiences which varied from fabulous to frightening.  The core of who they were 'back then' remains the core of who they are now.  They are true to themselves and to those around them so it doesn't matter if you saw them last week, last month, last year or in the last decade, they are who they have always been ~ friends, in the deepest sense of the word.  You know them and they know you, both sharing hopes and dreams, fears and failures, laughter and tears, and through it all, you are there for each other.

As I listened to and laughed with everyone there that night, I saw a group of friends who had never lost sight of the importance of having and keeping good close friends. It didn't matter where life took them or how many miles apart they were from each other, the bond of friendship has thrived through space and time as well as through life's ups and downs.

As I left that night, I thought of how truly blessed my friend is to have such good people in her life; and how blessed I am, for I too, have amazing people in my life.  

What better gift is there in life than a true friend?  To have one and to be one is one of life's great joys.

No comments: