Friday, August 27, 2010

Ruby Slippers


Those who know me well know I have a small but funky shoe collection which has been rapidly growing over the past several months.  The current item on my 'must have' list is a pair of red pumps (or ruby slippers if you happen to be a fan of The Wizard of Oz).   For me there's just something about wearing flashly shoes that not only gives my spirits a lift but also boosts my confidence.   While I know confidence and power come from within, it is nice to have something external as a reminder and that's what shoes are to me; an external reminder of my internal power. 

As a society, we have created all sorts of tailsmans to represent 'power'.  Who hasn't heard of 'the power suit'?  Or bought items like cars, jewellery, or clothes because at both a conscious and unconscious level they represent image, confidence, power and sucess?  A tailman also includes 'lucky' items, religious symbols, and even routines (rituals).  The power isn't within wearing or carrying the item or following a specific routine, but in the faith the person holds in their belief that by doing so they are protected or increasing their chance of success.

The point is, the external item only holds the energy and power you put into it; it's your power.  We always have the power within us, we just don't always see it within ourselves.  We have a tendency to attach our power to an external item and after a while we associate confidence or good fortune with the item.  When we give our power away to an external item we run into trouble because we believe the power is in the item and if anything happens to the item we unconsciously feel lost and unlucky.   Remember the old adage "Clothes don't make the man" it's true.   The character and confidence of the man (or woman) wearing the clothes is what makes others take notice of the person.  You can wear a designer suit and yet if you don't feel confident and comfortable in it, you're going to appear awkward, uncertain and uncomfortable; the power is not in the suit, it's in your ability to wear it with confidence.

So even though I know I can't click the heels of my new ruby slippers together and transport myself to where I want to go, I do know when I look at them I see them as bright, daring, a little bold and definitely making a positive statement which reminds me to be the same.  If that isn't enough, they also make me smile every time I look at them which gives me a boost too because when I'm smiling and happy I'm even more confident.

 Remember the power is within you ~ the tailsman, no matter what it is, is merely an external reminder of how powerful you truly are.

No comments: