Monday, August 1, 2011

What Memories Are You Creating?

It always amazes me the stories and memories that get shared when someone passes away.  How everyone remembers the person differently and all the stories add different dimensions and depth to the person, often giving us new insight and perspective on someone we thought we knew well, yet didn't know as well as we thought.

 The death of a loved one reminds us how many lives we touch, how others see us, and more importantly, what memories we give others by being part of their lives.  As much as it is a time of mourning the loss of someone we love, it is also a time to share in the joy they had brought to our life though sharing our favorite and usually funniest memories of them.

When you think about your life thus far, what do you want your loved ones to remember about you?  Are you merely passing time or creating memories?  People have a tendency to get so caught up in rushing through life that they seem to forget to live life.  To savour and truly experience the moments they share with others; to create lasting memories.  To appreciate those times where the laughter literally brings tears to the eyes; the joys that mark the happiest of occasions, and even through the tears of sadness the ability to remember and share the moments that have touched them.

It seems a little sad the best stories are shared only after a person has passed.  It makes me wonder if people really know how much they impact the lives of those around them; how much they are loved, appreciated, looked up to and admired. We like to believe those we care about  know how we feel, but really, wouldn't it be so much better for them and for us, to actually tell them, now, while they are still with us rather than waiting until they have left this world?

So, to the women in my life let me say this "you inspire me with your knowledge, courage, caring, compassion and I am blessed by knowing you and sharing so many memories with you".   To the men in my life who tend to be men of few words and big hearts I say "thank you for your strength, wisdom, patience, goodness and for showing me by example what it means to be a 'good man'; all of you are a blessing in my life. "

My life is filled with wonderful people - family, friends who are like family, so many great memories and so much laughter that I can only say I love you all and look forward to many many more years of creating lasting memories.

Create memories ~ they are the gift that keeps on giving.


Blessings.

No comments: